Monday, July 13, 2009

Children's non-aspirin preservative!

Nathanael had his shots today, so out came the pain killers. And, for the first time, I read the box. Of two different brands.

And found the ingredients are not what I usually give my kids: Red 40 and sodium benzoate, both of which are implicated in ADD behavior, and high fructose corn syrup, which has been known to be tainted with mercury in at least one lab test.

Sounds like healthy stuff!

It did make me wonder--the evidence is pretty strong that vaccines don't cause autism. What if it's a reaction to one of the ingredients in the medicine parents give to ward off the pain? What if it was mercury-tainted tylenol, not vaccines, that caused the trouble? Or an allergy to sodium benzoate (since evidence is quite strong that it affects children's cognitive abilities and behavior).....Just a thought.

1 comment:

morelightthanburden said...

This may very well be. Remember my sister, Rebecca? Don't know if you know, but her oldest is autistic and she is CONVINCED that it is due to the immunizations. They have family videos of before and after, as it were and they say it is night and day. Still, I've heard the reports that it isn't the immunizations themselves either . . . an interesting debate. Could it be the painkillers? Is it just bad timing?

I have to admit, for a lot of years I was really nervous as to what to do with my own kids (seeing as a family pre-disposition might be linked), and finally just decided to move ahead. Though I think it still is strange to shock those little systems with so much at one time??? The jury is still sometimes out on this whole issue for me. ARGH!