Thursday, December 24, 2009

Pondering Women part 2

So, like I said before, I've been pondering women and society, and how much damage is being done to women--and how to fix it.

I thought about what President Benson said, "The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums."

And I realized the world is speaking pretty loud about women--telling lies that get us all tied up in knots. And many many women around the world realize this and are starting to speak out, too--with blogs like "Bringing Lady Back" and "Classic". And they have some good ideas. But I don't just want good ideas. Even investing in those, I felt like I was missing something. Like there was something more to tell women about who they are, what is expected of them, and their value. Something that would comfort, strengthen, and guide women in a way that would not only bring joy and comfort, but offer them an alternative to the views of the world--and alternative beyond "Go back to before the feminists" or "embrace feminism."

In short, I have been craving the truth. And I knew that, while humans sometimes hit on truth through thought and reasoning, when culture becomes corrupt enough, we begin to lack the mental structures to even reach the truth through our own minds, colored by our experiences and cultures.

But I realized that I know where to find truth. Truth comes from God.

And he's not keeping it a secret. The world isn't the only one speaking out about women. The Lord is ALSO speaking out about women--in the scriptures and through the prophets and apostles.

So (since obviously I don't have enough writing projects already) I have started a collection of quotes about women from prophets and apostles, both ancient and modern. To make it easy for me to access anywhere, I'm posting it on a blog. It can be found here:

http://becominggreatwomen.blogspot.com/ 

The title comes from a talk Elder Faust gave to his granddaughters in 1985. I was going to call it "Far Above Rubies," but that blog title was taken (and the blog left blank).

Anyway, I'll be posting a quote or two a day. If you happen to have a favorite quote about women by a prophet or apostle, ancient or modern, send it to me and I'll add it to my collection. Please send the quote AND the reference so I can properly cite my sources and stay within the law. Thanks.

No comments: