Thursday, December 17, 2009

Did I just read that?

Walmart's ad this week has a really funny claim on the cover.  It says, in large print, "Christmas dinner for a family of 8 for under $30".

In REALLY small print at the bottom, it says, "Dinner includes....six 11-15.5 oz cans of Del Monte vegetables...."

SIX cans of corn and beans. Those cans contain 3 servings each. So the dinner for 8 includes 18 servings of vegetables.

The rest of the meal consisted of a 10-lb ham, 10 lb potatoes, 12 rolls, and a 10-inch pie.

I don't think whoever wrote that ad has ever tried to serve a family of 8! Six cans of vegetables indeed.....

And I don't think a nutritionist would suggest that meal--it's heavy on the carbs and sodium, has NO fruit at all, and no fresh veggies. Hmmmm....

The funniest thing is I feed a family of six EVERY NIGHT for $10 or less. For the whole meal. Even if I bought their $16 ham, I could feed everyone a full, healthy meal for $20, including fruit, fresh vegetables, rolls, and dessert. Oh, and mashed potatoes.

For $30, our whole family can eat out at an all-you-can-eat buffet, so why would I make that myself?

I'm still trying to figure out what they thought we'd do with 6 cans of vegetables. Leftover omelets?

No comments: