Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Where most of my homeschooling stuff is going

I realized today that bunches of my friends and family members didn't even know I've been writing a separate blog of homeschooling lessons, resources, links, etc.  It's called Learning Lynx and can be found here:

http://learninglynx.blogspot.com

The idea is that there are millions of great educational resources out there available for free--enough that you could give your child a complete education if you knew where to look. But they aren't easy to find. So I'm digging up what I can and posting them.

Also, when I create lessons that I teach my own kids for school, I post those, too.  Be sure to check out the Index (link on the right side bar) to make sense of the chaos of the actual blog body.

And if you run across links, I'd be delighted to hear about them....or you can even post them in the comments on a related blog post. The only thing I ask is that you post links to things that are fully free (ie not just a "free trial period").

The best resources I've found so far are from museums, cable tv stations (go figure!), and libraries (which don't usually have content, but do have hundreds of links to great content). "Educational" sites often don't have as good of activities, lessons, and information as these places (for example, on a museum website, you get photos of Galileo's actual telescope with a discussion of how it worked and how it differs from modern telescopes; educational sites would mention his telescopes and give you a cartoon of Galileo staring at the sky through a telescope.). If you find any other good sources of links, I'd be happy to hear about it. Also, if you've taught lessons that you think would be useful to other homeschooling parents, type them up on a google doc, publish it as a web page, and send me the link, and I'll make it available to other homeschooling families, too.

Right now, I'm trying to sort through all the information available from the Smithsonian Institute and the USGS--both of which are LOADED with good, free stuff.

No comments: