Thursday, February 17, 2011

My latest research:

Hypokalemic Sensory Overstimulation.

http://trusted.md/feed/items/system/2008/01/11/what_causes_adhd_some_intriguing_findings

It has been proposed as a "different form of ADHD"--one where the brain is bombarded by too many stimuli instead of the brain being unable to process stimuli.

My initial reaction was, "This is Caleb!" My secondary reaction was, "Oh my gosh, this is me!" and my third reaction was, "Is this what we've been calling fibromyalgia as well as the ADHD/Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities/Sensory Processing Disorder/Asperger's Syndrome that have been proposed for Caleb?"

Whatever it is, it's genetic--shows up very clearly in my dad, at least one of my sisters, and me, and at least one of my children. The "tag" that helps you identify it? A lack of sensitivity to lidocaine. Need lots of shots to get your teeth numb at the dentist? Yeah. That's it.

Now I'm wondering if my cousins also have the lack of sensitivity to lidocaine? Uncles? Grandparents? I would love to get a genetic study on this (and have contacted the men who did the research on the paper--so we might get to be involved!).

Apparently the treatment is really easy: potassium supplements. Word on the street is it "cures" the sensory overload that is diagnosed as ADHD (and maybe fibro? Could it really be that easy to get relief?).

We will have to see.

Meanwhile, I might just take some potassium before I go to the doctor on Monday. Last week, when she removed a mole, the lidocaine didn't work almost at all. This week, I'd rather not take that chance again.

No comments: