Sunday, March 15, 2009

a three-ingredient cold cereal?

Tonight, grocery shopping, we bought one of every cereal at Wal-Mart that cost less than 10 cents per ounce.

We came home with a frosted mini-wheats knockoff made by a company called "mom's best" that I'd never heard of. It had "whole grain" bragging on the box, which I don't take seriously because most companies have more sugar than whole grain.

When I got home, I flipped the box around and read the ingredients as I put it into the cupboard. There were three. I had to look twice to be sure. There were definitely three listed. Just 3: Whole wheat, evaporated milled sugar, and gelatin. Compare that to most cereals in your cupboard! That's as few as (or fewer than!) when you boil your own wheat to make wheat berries or cracked wheat cereal for breakfast (at least the way I make it, it has wheat, sugar, salt, and cinnamon or maple syrup or strawberry jam--that's four, unless I forget the salt, which I often do).

I hope it tastes good because I'm sure happy with the ingredients!

Note, later: It does taste good. Really good. I'm going to look up their other products. I totally believe in supporting companies like this--made with renewable energy, no chemicals, and still inexpensive.

No comments: