Friday, August 26, 2011

She thinks SHE is tired? Oh boy....

One of the various gifted homeschoolers feeds I follow on facebook linked to this blog post, so I read it. http://watchoutforgiftedpeople.blogspot.com/2011/08/exhaustion-2e-style.html?spref=tw


Almost any time I leave the house I do that times 3 (so with six kids). And one of mine has about ten times more intensity and energy than both of hers together. That one has as much energy and intensity as all five of my other kids, plus Tim, put together. He's the one who is 4 years old and still not allowed to get out of the cart at the store.

And I DO often shop at midnight so we can get through the store without maiming or distressing anyone else.

What struck me when I read her article, though, was that if she considers that above and beyond normal, then all kids aren't like mine (and hers). And that thought was a little baffling to me. I mean, I know most kids aren't like Benji. That kid is one in ten billion millions. But there are kids who don't talk all the time? There are kids who don't want to put the books in the book drop, and who don't scatter all over the library all at once? There are kids who don't whine and touch everything at the grocery store, don't fight in the car, don't question every move you make and expect explanations for everything--in detail and with sources cited--right here on the spot in the middle of WalMart? There are kids who don't correct your grammar when you're talking to the cashier? Or try to explain the entire plot of their latest book--the one they're writing--to the guy who is greeting people at the door? Kids who don't require mom to keep up a running stream of talk (commands, requests, explanations, "where's so-and-so, oh, there you are"s) for 2 hours while they do what should be 20 minutes of shopping?

Kids who don't wear you out every single day, and who make you roll your eyes at people who suggest you get some exercise or do something outlandish like fold the laundry instead of retreat into your own book (the one you're writing) as soon as you get a second to sit down and stop talking (but you never get to stop listening--not even when you're supposed to be sleeping, and so are they).


Where are such children? I'd love to go observe their moms and see what a bored mommy looks like.

Because everything that woman described in her blog seems like a pretty tame, relatively easy day to me. (Although, now that you mention it, I don't get school or dinner done on the shopping days, either. Too worn out. And I rarely do more than one errand on any given day. I can't physically do it!).

3 comments:

Heather said...

That sounded a bit tame to me too. Only two to take around?

Catherine Jones Carlson said...

Yep, her kids sound like kids. I think sometimes parents think they should be giving birth to adults and when they are actually kids instead, they are shocked. And her fatigue and stress seemed almost entirely self-inflicted. Children making deposits at the bank? Really?! Why on earth would you do that to yourself when you can wait until they are 16 and teach them in 10 minutes what to do at the teller?

Becca Jones said...

I agree, Catherine! Absolutely at least in part self-inflicted.

The bank? With kids? Drive through....

Kids pushing carts when they aren't capable of doing it carefully and in complete control?? Um...mommy was asking for it. It's not that hard to say, "Sorry. No. And if you fuss about it, you're not coming next time."

Eating out is its own adventure. We never combine that with another adventure ever. For one, fast food makes my kids hyperactive and leaves them hungry (with all that accompanies hungry kids).

Normal kids.