Monday, August 01, 2011

Curious about sugar again

I discovered that, while most Greek Yogurt has little to no sugar, Yoplait Greek Yogurt has a LOT of sugar. Even the plain yogurt, which should be sugar-free, had a lot of sugar in it. Also, it's not strained. So I think it can hardly lay claim to being Greek Yogurt. It's just thicker normal yogurt, as far as I can tell. Probably added more gelatin. That's my guess. Anyway....

That made me curious how a cup of yogurt ("healthy") compares to a snickerdoodle on sugar content. (Obviously, the sugar cookie isn't going to have calcium in it, but if you read the yogurt cup, there isn't much else healthy in there to recommend it. Just calcium; if you have Greek yogurt you also get protein, phosphorus, and vitamin A.).

So I did a little math:

2 c of sugar per batch of snickerdoodles. One batch makes about 5 dozen cookies. One cup of sugar has 48 teaspoons in it. 2 cups times 48 tsp divided by 60 cookies gives you 1.6 teaspoons of sugar per cookie. Kind of a lot. But yogurt is measured in grams. So I looked that up--4.2 grams (or so) in one teaspoon of sugar. That means one cookie has 6.72 grams of sugar. And one cup of PLAIN Yoplait Greek Yogurt has 9 grams of sugar--more than one cookie. And the strawberry Greek yogurt has 20 g of sugar--3 1/2 cookies.

Hmmm. That puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

No comments: