Sunday, January 24, 2010

Did I just read that?

From a craigslist ad from a supposed music agency/management team: "Compensation: Residules From Your Sales"

Gives me a lot of confidence they aren't a scam--the word is Residuals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual_(entertainment_industry)

Not sure I can trust a company that can't spell words they should be using every day.

I don't know whether to say "Stay Away" (to the artists) or "Learn to Spell" (to the management).

Also, using the word "residuals" in this context is a red flag. I might be wrong about this, not being in the music contract biz, but my understanding was that residuals are usually paid to film and TV performers for repeat broadcasts of their shows. Musicians usually get royalties. I guess if a management team (crew in the ad, though I've never heard of them being referred to that way) published (in music this means what normal people would call "placed") the song in a film or TV context, the musician might get residuals. Perhaps that's what they mean?

No comments: