Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Biltmore Who's Who?

First, read this article on "who's who" scams: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2007/04/victoria-strauss-beware-whos-who.html

Since I'd already read that (I regularly read the Writer Beware Blog to keep myself scam-free), I knew when this letter came what it was.

But it still surprised me.

Here is what it says,

"Dear Rebecca S Jones,

You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent the professional and business community of Las Vegas, Nevada in the Biltmore 2009 Honors edition of Who's Who Among Executives and Professional Women."

At which point I let out a guffaw.

"Professional Women" doesn't mean what they think it does. At least, not in Las Vegas. Here, "Professional Women" are also called "prostitutes".

Later, it says, "The Publishing Committee selected you as a potential candidate, based upon your current standing" (as a stay-at-home mom?) "as well as criteria from executive and professional rosters." (they value diaper-changing, baba filling, and soothing nightmaring toddlers? Who knew?). "Given your background, the Publishing Director believes your profile would make a fitting addition to our Honors Edition publication." (Why, because I had 5 kids in 7 years? Because I didn't cry when I received my 60th rejection for a novel I think is really pretty good?)

And, still later, "Your listing will share prominent space in the Biltmore Registry with thousands of fellow achievers..."

Right. "Prominent space...thousands of fellows." Do they know how little sense this makes?

So do I send their confirmation with "MOTHER" as the job title, "Jones Family" as the company, "Home" as the industry, and "staying up all night, not tripping on toys, and homeschooling" as my specialties? Or would "Americanized Mexican Food" be a better specialty? Or "Not cleaning house"? "Blogging when I should be cooking dinner?" "Baking cakes at midnight"? "Teaching small children"? Or just "nurturing"? "Homemaking sans housekeeping"?

If you read the blog post I cited at the top, you might find this statement a little suspicious, "Biltmore Who's Who is not associated or affiliated with...any other Who's Who Publication." Why is this small print suspicious? Well, the letter I received was word-for-word the same as the one mentioned on that blog in 2007. From a different Who's Who company.

Same scam, different name.

I think I'll throw it away.

6 comments:

medieval.woman said...

Well, it's about time somebody recognized the hard work of motherhood!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I just got off the phone with this guy and from that company and he had me fooled until I called my hubby and he looked it up. Glad I didn't do it!

Anonymous said...

I got a letter today from these scammers. I knew immediately it was a fraud. They say I can get listed for free, but what they don't tell you is that you have to pay $1,100 for the book you're listed in. Plus they will keep calling and pressuring you to pay more for "more exposure". Also, they don't allow cancellations for any reason. Reminds me of when I had my own business. I got a call to be listed free in a "local business directory". I was flooded every day with calls from sales people, to the point that my customers couldn't get through!! Funny thing, if you go to the Ripoff Report web site there's a single query about this scam and the rest are all messages from this company stating how prestigious they are and how they are not a scam. I expected better from Ripoff Report.

Anonymous said...

Thanks- you have confirmed my suspicions.

Treese said...

Just got the email about 2 weeks ago I filled it out and then got the call from a SALES REP, thats what I called him. He went thru his porposal and then started telling me the charges and that they would thow in air line tickets. That is the first be ware.... then he kept lowering the price and was getting rude with me. I told him to send me the information and I would do my research about the company. The conversation ended with me hanging up on him.. and I do not do that. STAY AWAY (Treese)

Anonymous said...

This is most definitely a scam. If you'll read through the positive posts regarding this company on any of the sites, you'll quickly note that they are written by people who have little or no command of the English language. These could not possibly have been written by anyone who would normally be considered for professional recognition by any legitimate Who's Who company.