Thursday, March 13, 2008

Kids say the darndest things

Each kid said something laughable in the last 24 hours.

First, Anda was asking for a snack before bed. She said, "Can I have peanut butter and jam on my hot dog." "No," I said. "Why not?" she said. "Because that would be yucky. But you can have peanutbutter and jam on a sandwich," I said. "Oh, I meant could I have ketchup and mustard on my peanut butter sandwich!"

We eventually got it all worked out.

Then today, Caleb was on the swings at the park. He jumped off a little higher than I (or he) thought he would, so I said, 'Be careful--you can break your arm jumping off swings.' He said, 'Don't worry. The damage wasn't too severe.' The teenage girl next to him burst out laughing.

Later, Dan was in the swing at the park but it was time to go. He didn't want to leave, so I said, "Do you want more time?" "Yes," he said. "How much?" I asked. "Seven," he said. "Seven?" I said. "Yes. Three," he held up three fingers. "Three minutes?" I said. "Yes, three minutes," he said, and he looked at his fingers and added two more. Then five more, so all ten were up. "Three minutes," he repeated, holding his fingers out. All ten of them.

About fifteen seconds later, he said, "Okay! Time for a last slide!" and that was that.

The nice thing that happened at the park was I was talking to another mother, and she said, 'It's just not the same when you're in your thirties. You can chase four kids when you're in your twenties, but it's just not the same when you're in your thirties!' I didn't tell her that I AM in my thirties. I was flattered that I look younger. Until about twenty minutes later when I realized she probably thought I got pregnant when I was a teenager!

No comments: