Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Eggnog Bread Braid

One of my best recipes came from here:

http://www.parents.com/recipes/recipedetail.jsp?recipeId=R083258

I call it Cream Cheese Eggnog Bread. They call it Egg Braid. It's a delicious sweet bread with a nutmeg-cream cheese filling.
I don't follow the instructions printed there. I follow standard bread instructions (instead of the first three they list): mix the yeast, sugar, salt, oil or butter, and hot-to-the-touch tap water; when the yeast starts foaming, add the flour and eggs and let the Kitchenaid work it's magic. When it's mostly mixed, take it out and put it in a greased bowl. Microwave for ten seconds, turn the dough over, microwave 10 more, and then let raise twice in a warm place for 30 minutes each. Then go on to the regular instructions. I also don't put in butter (I use margarine), I skip putting egg on the loaf before it bakes (it only makes it shiny), and I use 5 cups of all-purpose flour instead of bread flour mixed with whatever they have listed there. It works GREAT and is on my list of "You can give this to people or take it to ward parties and not be embarrassed" recipes. Really worth trying.

No comments: