Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Pondering, lately

Lately, I've come to the conclusion that, despite the circumstances I am living in, I ought to embrace the life I've been given and get what I can out of each day.

I think it's important to learn from the past and look to the future, but LIVE in TODAY.

And not spend all my time worrying, regretting, planning, complaining, or waiting.

Not to say we shouldn't be prepared, take steps that lead us to a better future, have goals, etc.

Just to say that, in doing those things, we sacrifice our futures if we don't embrace the day we have been given and do what we can with it, however wonderful or awful it might be. I don't want to end up with all those empty yesterdays President Monson warns about.

Has this actually changed much about my behavior each day? Not that you'd notice (I always did try to live transparently and without regrets). But it has changed some subtle things about my outlook--like I'm less inclined to gossip, complain over and over, spend time worrying about next year, or agonize over what other people think of my house/writing/car/hobbies/etc. And I'm more inclined to look at my day and say, "Today we have a place to live and food to eat; I'll worry about tomorrow when it comes." I'm also more inclined to read to my children, write what I want to write, wipe off the stove, bake cookies, work and rest at the right times without guilt, and kiss my husband (which I already did a lot of, but more is always better in that case).

After all, this is the only life I get, and I think I'll get more out of it if I embrace what is given me and let God make of me and my life what He will.

No comments: