Thursday, October 11, 2007

Insomnia revisited

So Caleb still has insomnia. He's just old enough that I leave him awake and go to bed. His doctor said it probably WASN'T ADD because kids with ADD wouldn't lay there for two or three hours trying to fall asleep. They would get up and get into stuff.

She has a good point.

What I guess I mentioned before, but we never really took seriously, was a common childhood disorder that causes sleep problems. In fact, sleep problems are one of the major diagnostic criteria. And it's genetic--and runs in both sides of my family and, in fact, I have it, too.

Fibromyalgia, aka Fibrositis.

In kids, it is Juvenile Primary Fibromyalgia Syndrome. And it is apparently very common and usually misdiagnosed by six or more doctors before it's properly identified. Often, kids get what we got--a referral to a psychiatrist--when they need a referral to a rheumatologist.

So we're going to go back to our family doctor, who I really like, and see if we can get a referral to Denver Children's Hospital. I am assuming there is an expert there, since some of the research on JPFS is coming out of Denver Children's Hospital.

Caleb seems to be a textbook case. And it would explain so many things....

So why didn't I consider this before? Duh....

No comments: