Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Conversing with my nephew

I have a very verbal, very smart nephew who is six weeks shy of being 3 years old. And today he decided to hang out with me for half an hour before he settled in to playing with the other kids.

One of my  mom's chickens came wandering by, and he said, "I'll chase it away!"

I said, "Oh, no. Be kind to the chickens."
"Why?"
"Because they give us eggs."
"Oh," he said, "so THEY'RE the ones who wash them and hand them to us?"
"Um," I replied, trying to figure out what to say next. "They make the eggs for us."
He thought about that for a minute and then said, "What do they make them out of?"
Now I had to think for a minute.  "They make them with their bodies," I finally said.
His turn to think. Then, "How do they do that?" he asked.
My turn to think.  Then, "That's what they're made to do."
His turn to think. Finally, "Oh."

I'm glad he was satisfied with that answer. Didn't know how to explain chicken ovulation to my sister's kid without potentially getting one of us in trouble eventually.

No comments: