Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Here's to effective communication!

Anda's primary teacher told me a few weeks ago that Anda is good in class, but she likes to touch the other kids, so they have to be careful where she sits so she's not disruptive. But she said it's not a big deal, so don't worry. So I forgot about it.....

....Until yesterday, when I heard Anda talking to Dan over lunch. "Keep your hands to yourself," she said. "That's what they tell you in class."

I paused in what I was doing and said, "Do you know what that means?"

Anda looked at me. Clearly she had never thought about it before. Finally she said, "Um, don't take your hands off and give them to someone else in class?"

Well no wonder touching others was an ongoing problem in class! It really helps if, when you give instructions, the kids understand what you're talking about, you know?

No comments: