Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Did I just read that?

"Per the St. Petersburg Times and Politico, Bachmann said, "I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending.""
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700174630/Michele-Bachmann-God-warns-with-disasters.html

Wow--did she just make the American people God?

I  have a pretty high regard for the American people, but I stop short of turning them into Deity.

And, while I do believe that God warns us with disasters, I seriously doubt His message comes from the Tea Party Manifesto. He seems to go more along the lines of sending the message that we each individually need to repent, last I heard.

I don't have a lot of respect for politicians who play the God card--especially so blatantly. I respect politicians who are religious--but to use God to spread their own personal message?  That bothers me a lot. And I even agree that we need to rein in the spending!

No comments: